Monday, August 15, 2011

Music for the Soul

While in Canada (especially on our trip to Edmonton) we spent a lot of time listening to Christian music.  We rediscovered a couple of songs we had heard but a few times years ago.  We had bought a CD with a song we were looking for and found another song on the same CD that we had also been looking for not knowing that they were both sung by the same person.  One of the songs is called All at War which speaks of the struggle inside each of us as Christians.  It is a list of confession of how we fall short of the Glory of God.  The other is called How Many Kings. Lia and I enjoy music with lyrics that are thought provoking and theological.  It is interesting as well to see how our children begin asking questions about the songs we listen to and how much they enjoy the music as well.   

All at War

by Downhere

I’m learning to stand the more that I fall down,
It’s the law of inversion, and it’s all turned around,
And I’m staggered by the clash inside my soul,
So purposed for good but inclined for evil

It’s justice and mercy the old dichotomies,
All along the frontlines of my heart in both doubt and belief
The sinner and saint, the old arch enemies,
All at war, in me

I was born depraved, but created for the divine,
With death in my bones, in my heart eternal life,
I’d love for Eden, but I’d kill for Rome,
I’m native in a land that is not my home

You are the beginning, and you are the end,
Into your great reversal, I am born again,
A beautiful redemption, you leverage even sin
In me your final victory, I know you’ll win

Into light, from the shadows,
Into life, from the grave,
Into love, Into love

How Many Kings :
Follow the star to a place unexpected
Would you believe, after all we've projected,
A child in a manger?
Lowly and small, the weakest of all
Unlikeliest hero, wrapped in his mother's shawl -
Just a child -
Is this who we've waited for? 'cause...

How many kings step down from their thrones?
How many lords have abandoned their homes?
How many greats have become the least for me?
And how many gods have poured out their hearts
To romance a world that is torn all apart
How many fathers gave up their sons for me?

Bringing our gifts for the newborn Savior
All that we have, whether costly or meek
Because we believe.
Gold for his honor, and frankincense for his pleasure
And myrrh for the cross he will suffer
Do you believe?
Is this who we've waited for?

All for me...
All for you...

No comments: